50 Year Anniversary
John Deere Limited celebrates its 50th anniversary in the UK and Ireland
Sells new parts for above machines, plus used tractors & equipment
John Deere logo 1956-1968
John Deere Company Limited incorporated in Scotland under the Companies Act 1948
A subsidiary of Levertons, appoints Don Macmillan first UK dealer; imports John Deere agricultural and industrial equipment from Mannheim, Germany
Also a subsidiary of Levertons, sells John Deere agricultural equipment
Sells John Deere industrial equipment
John Deere Industrial 450 track loader
Deere & Company buys a controlling interest in British company Lundell, a manufacturer of forage harvesters and grain drills
Lundell (Great Britain) Ltd
Arranges UK production of John Deere LF fertiliser distributor, and imports 4010 & 5010 tractors from the US for exhibition at the Royal Smithfield Show 1962 in London
4010 New Generation tractor
The front cover of John Deere's product leaflet printed for the 1962 Royal Smithfield Show
The introduction of the 110 lawn tractor in the US marked the beginning of John Deere's entry into the groundscare market worldwide. A fully restored, working example of this pioneering lawn tractor is on permanent display in the foyer of John Deere Limited’s headquarters at Langar in Nottinghamshire.
An original 110 lawn tractor working in the grounds of Deere & Company's worldwide headquarters at Moline in the early 1960s.
From 1 November 1964
John Deere Company Limited
Edenbridge, Kent & Langar, Nottingham
In 1965 the decision was made to leave the Lundell premises at Edenbridge in Kent and move to Langar.
4020 tractor being demonstrated by dealer Ben Burgess
12 January 1966
Company incorporated as John Deere Limited, starts trading from Langar and appoints the first five UK dealers: Ben Burgess, Norwich, Norfolk; Drake & Fletcher, Ashford, Kent; Hill & Osborne, Burnham Market, Norfolk; T M Simpson, Ceres, Fife; & L E Tuckwell, Worlingworth, Suffolk. The first official importer/distributor in Ireland during this time was Power Farming in Cork, owned by the Sherrard family, and managed directly from Europe by John Deere Export.
John Deere premises at Langar 1966
John Deere introduces the Roll-Gard rollover protective structure (ROPS) on its tractors and goes on to make the design available free to all its competitors, emphasising the company’s commitment to product safety
4020 tractor with ROPS 1966
John Deere logo 1968-2000
First John Deere tractors sold by Sherrard Retail Cork in Ireland are a 710, 4020 and 1120
John Deere Limited awarded the Royal Warrant as suppliers of agricultural equipment to Her Majesty The Queen
John Deere Limited staff at Langar c1972
In Ireland, Power Farming closes and a dealer network is established and serviced from Langar, chiefly through the Sherrard Group & Sherrard Wholesale, with branches initially in Cork, Dublin, Fethard in Co Tipperary, Limerick (briefly), Mountrath in Co Laois and Wexford, plus an independent dealership in Dundalk
The new, enclosed, air conditioned and ultra-quiet Sound-Gard cab is launched in the US and was eventually fitted as standard equipment on John Deere’s European tractors with the opening of the Bruchsal cab factory in 1981
John Deere Limited managing director Doug Walker with the new 4230 tractor equipped with Sound-Gard cab at Langar, 1972
New company set up to import, market and distribute John Deere’s fledgling groundscare equipment range, after earlier imports by Stanhay and a separate parts business in Suffolk
Roy Blakley (Canadian), Fred Gilchrist (US, pictured)
L J Martin
The Overtime Farm Tractor Company, London E1
About 4000 Waterloo Boy ‘Overtime’ tractors Models R & N are imported from the US
Waterloo Boy tractor Model R 1914
St Ives, Huntingdonshire
Sells Models D, A, B, G, H & L (unstyled and styled) tractors, combines* & ploughs in six counties in the east of England from 1937
*The first tractor-drawn John Deere combine was marketed in 1927; 1947 saw the launch of the first self-propelled combine harvester; today the company is the world’s biggest manufacturer of combines.
Model D tractor styled 1941
Model B tractor & No 11 combine 1939
Sells the same machines as Standens in southern England & Wales, and exports Models M & R to the Republic of Ireland in 1949
Model R tractor with No 77 plough 1948
Sells the same machines as Standens, in northern England
L O Tractors
Cupar, Angus, Perth
Joint Levertons & Oldings company, later taken over by Oldings Sells the same machines as Standens, in Scotland
1974 to 1986
Dealer principal David Lowe of Greenlay Ltd in Northumberland sells John Deere lawn & garden equipment, sourced from France.
Sherrard Group in Ireland is liquidated and a new dealer organisation is set up, mostly through management buyouts.
John Deere Limited establishes a new commercial groundscare division, selling the 55 Series compact tractors – including the popular 855 model with wrap-around cylinder mower – F Series front rotary mowers and 430 lawn tractor; Greenlay Ltd is appointed the division’s first UK dealer
Groundscare division launch in Nottingham, 1986
855 compact tractor with wrap-round cylinder mower
John Deere launches the 50 Series tractors in Europe, with MC1 or SG2 cab options
3350 tractor cutaway
Pioneering Ag Tech agricultural engineering apprentice training programme launched in association with Brooksby College, Leicestershire
John Deere announces its new 6000 Series tractors, featuring an innovative full-frame modular design that goes on to collect worldwide awards for outstanding design and performance
6000 Series full-frame tractor cutaway 1992
New Gator 4x2 and 6x4 utility vehicles are launched in the UK & Ireland, at September's IOG Exhibition in Peterborough.
Gator 6x4 and 4x2 utility vehicles
The John Deere Limited lawn & groundscare team in 1993; all are still employed by the company today, apart from the then newly appointed division manager Graham Williams (seated behind the steering wheel), who retired at the end of 2010 . Richard Johnson (far left) , then a territory manager, went on to become managing director from 2006 to 2014 (see below).
John Deere’s new 8000 Series tractors from 185hp to 260hp are the first in history to have their design concept patented.
John Deere Credit Limited was launched as the UK's newest agricultural credit company in November 1996.
John Deere Limited receives National Training Award for Ag Tech programme
New combined office premises and training centre at Langar officially opened on 13 May by HRH The Princess Royal
John Deere Limited staff in 1998, outside the entrance to the new premises at Langar
Novel harvesting technology is introduced on the John Deere CTS combine, which employs cylinder tine separation as an alternative to conventional straw walker and rotary threshing designs
CTS combine harvester
The 6910 tractor - Europe's best seller in 1998
Deere & Company acquires Finnish company Timberjack to become the world's largest forestry equipment company. Timberjack UK had been based at Consett in Co Durham since 1992; when the business was rebranded in 2005, the John Deere Forestry retail business serving the UK & Ireland moved to its current headquarters at Carlisle in Cumbria.
John Deere branded 1710D forwarder, 2005
AEA announces that John Deere Limited has topped the UK tractor market share table for the first time (in 1998)
John Deere & John Deere Financial logos, 2000 to date
The GreenStar satellite guidance system is introduced on John Deere tractors, using StarFire positioning technology based on GPS signals; this is followed by AutoTrac automatic steering in 2002
Original GreenStar display showing parallel tracking
Aerial view of Langar premises 2004
John Deere launches the new 2500E, the golf and turf industry’s first hybrid electric greens mower
2500E greens mower 2005
Royal Warrant extended to include groundscare and horticultural equipment
Deere & Company celebrates its 175th anniversary worldwide - blacksmith and inventor John Deere founded the business in 1837.
175th anniversary logo
John Deere introduces its first-ever four-track tractor, the 9RX Series, ranging from 470 to 620hp – the flagship 9620RX model joins the Lord Mayor’s Show parade in London in November, alongside a specially restored 4020 tractor from the 1960s, in support of the Worshipful Company of Farmers modern livery company and the National Farmers’ Union’s Back British Farming campaign
9620RX tractor at Langar
Lord Mayor's Show 2015
The British agriculture and turf industry’s first and only purpose-built apprentice training facility is opened by John Deere and training provider ProVQ at St James Business Park, Radcliffe-on-Trent in Nottinghamshire. Designed specifically and solely for John Deere dealer apprentices enrolled on the company’s award winning Ag Tech, Parts Tech and Turf Tech training programmes, the new centre is close to John Deere Limited’s headquarters at Langar
The new John Deere Apprentice Training Centre
John Deere Limited celebrates its 50th anniversary in the UK & Ireland